Apple Trees For Sale, Buy and Grow Guide
Useful Information on Growing Apple Trees in Your Backyard
Do you know that Apple trees have many varieties that you can grow in your backyard? For the information of many, apple trees are fruit bearing trees from the genus Malus domestica. These fruit bearing trees are known to have a wide range of variability based on its unique characteristics and uses.
Brief History of Apple Trees
It has been known to have originated from the Asian and European lands and was brought to North America by European colonists in the 17th century. It was in Boston that Reverend William Blaxton planted the first Apple Orchard in North America. Although it is known that Apple varieties have been brought to North America and propagated in colonial farms, it is also best to take note of North America’s native apple, the crab apples or what is commonly referred to as common apples.
Apple trees are widely popular in just about any part of the world as it has been part of the history of man, from the Christian traditions to Greek mythology. Scientists came to understand the many benefits of the apple tree particularly its fruit to health and wellness. IT has been known that apples could actually help prevent various diseases and provide essential uses in the field of cookery and production of cider.
Apple Tree Propagation
The propagation of domestic apples is generally done through grafting while its wild ancestor, Malus sieversii or commonly known as wild apples can grow from the seeds. Domestic apples can easily be infected by many environmental problems such as fungus, bacteria and pests. However there are means that can manage and prevent these both organically or non-organically.
To have a good production of fruit, apple trees need to cross pollinate trees of varied cultivars. The question is why not use the tree’s seeds to grow as a tree? More often than not, the seeds produced by a parent tree will result to other variations that is why fruit bearing trees are rather grafted than grown from its own seeds. Seasoned gardeners are aware of this and make it a point to have at least 2 varieties of fruit trees within a certain favored distance.
Some Apple Tree Varieties to Take Note Of
There are thousands of apple tree varieties that are spread all over the globe to date. These varieties produce good fruit that ranges in color, tastes and shape. Each variety also requires specific requirements for growing conditions in order to come up with healthy bloom and good production of fruits. Thus, prior to purchasing apple trees, check with the nursery as to the type of growing conditions the apple tree requires in terms of soil and climate preference.
The Apple Trees/ Apple Trees for Sale Varieties
For starters, listed here are varieties of apple trees to consider when choosing to purchase for your backyard or when starting a small apple orchard business.
- Dwarf Apple Trees. The most popular variety for gardeners and apple growers is the Dwarf Apple Tree variety. Due to its height which is about 8 to 10 feet, this variety of apple tree are easy to manage and harvest. This variety is available for purchase in seedlings and juvenile trees. Most gardeners and apple growers would prefer juvenile trees as it bears fruit much sooner than seedlings.
- Semi Dwarf Apple Trees. Another variety that is an alternative to growers is the Semi Dwarf Apple Trees. These Apple trees can grow as high as 4 feet which is slightly taller than the Dwarf variety. Managing and harvesting these apple trees can also be easy and non-tedious.
- Standard Apple Trees. The Standard Apple Tree can grow as high as 30 feet. With its height this is not preferred by several gardeners as management and harvest can be difficult. However, these trees can make a nice shade for a wide backyard and add to the beauty of spring with its blossoming flowers. This variety of apple tree is much preferred for property owners in a rural setting.
Cost for growing Apple Trees
For the first year you decide to go into growing apple trees, the costs may be higher as compared to the succeeding years. This year will require the cost of your actual apple tree purchase, labor for planting, training, materials and tools. This is your preparation year where it will require you to invest some good amount of money.
In 2006, a study from the Oregon University was published estimating the total cost of expenditure for the first year which amounts to $390, considering the cost of 2 apple trees, labor, training and materials for maintenance and pruning. The estimated cost for the succeeding years may range from $150 to as high $205 for maintenance, fertilization and pruning depending on the growth year of your apple trees.
Today, the price range may have changed dramatically due to the rise in price of material costs and other maintenance requirements. As a summary of the costs of growing apples, this venture may require you less expenses and investment. However, partnered with hard work and good labor the rewards of the production may be great in return.
Apple Tree Maintenance
Gardeners are aware that each variety of apple trees has its distinct requirements in terms of climate and soil conditions. For specific apple variety needs, the best person to give you advice is the nursery where the tree is purchased. However, apple trees have common needs to survive and eventually bear fruit.
- Sunlight and lots of water. All fruit bearing trees require good irrigation and an ample amount of sunlight to produce good fruits. Watering your trees once in a weeks’ time is ideal however may be increased to 2-3 times a week during the summer season. In places when it rains a lot, watering regularly may not be a requirement.
- Fertilizers for nutrients. Apple trees would need nutrients when first planted. One can provide these needed nutrients through fertilizers. Depending on the variety of apple tree, consult with an agricultural or nursery tender what fertilizers are best suitable for the tree of choice. It is good to take note that not all apple trees are happy with nitrogen-rich soil.
- Pruning the Apple Tree. It is best to prune apple trees when all the leaves have fallen off. Take note that it would need a good trunk to grow in the best condition. Notice if the central branch grows upright, if not prune it in the right direction. Dead or broken branches should be taken off to maintain the health of the tree and so as not to invite pest infestation.
- Take out those weeds. Remove weeds surrounding the tree. These unwanted weeds are a competition to the needed nutrients the tree requires to bloom and produce good and healthy fruits.
Reasons to grow an Apple Tree
- A pretty addition to good landscape. For a simple homeowner who decides to purchase an apple tree, their reasons are quite simple; Apple trees can be an added shade in the back yard and can provide free supplies of apples per year.
- Lucrative business. For gardeners and growers who decide to purchase an apple tree, there’s a broader reason behind it. Mainly for gardeners who live by their crop, investing in propagating apples is a relatively lucrative business as the market’s demand in apples continues to rise.
- Demand in Market. The demand in apple sours high due to the nutritional benefits that it naturally provides. Apples make a lot of use in the dietary, food and nutrition industry.
- Availability and Usability. Apples are not just eaten raw right after harvest depending on its variety. This too can be baked, stewed, dried, canned, juiced, fermented to cider or preserved in alcohol for future use.
- Less Maintenance. An Apple tree is easy to grow and require less management and maintenance and therefore brings more savings and fewer expenses.
Apples and apple trees provide a lot of benefit that anyone can enjoy. The foremost benefit one can receive are the nutrients an apple can provide. These nutrients are best absorbed by the body when apple is eaten raw. Apple is rich in anti-oxidants phytonutrients and provides a good amount of vitamin C, vitamin B-complex and minerals which is good for the body’s fight against disease. Apples are also low in calories which make it the best choice of foods for those who aim to lose some pounds.
No matter what variety of apple tree a gardener or a grower gets the nutritional benefits it provides is relatively the same. Apple trees make it possible to have an apple a day to keep the doctors away.